Tuesday, March 22, 2011

November 23, 2010-Volume 7

THE ADVENTURES OF THE NEWLY BLIND/LOW VISION/VISUALLY IMPAIRED (BLOVI) GIRL
I am blogging late after the full dress rehearsal for the Nutcracker. More on that next week. Due to exhaustion, I was going to dispense with the WTF and the I can’t get enough of this week. That was until I saw Kim fron the Atlanta Housewives sing her new single “Google Me”. There are no words to describe it. Thanks to Kim for turning me on to Google. Never heard of it. Loved Andy Cohen’s face during the song, a forced smile where you know he wants to crack up or is thinking about the catty remarks he will make afterward.
This week I want to focus on the things for which I am thankful. But first, I recently realized that my daughter understands that I will be blind for a long tine and that she is angry about it. She has been less than cooperative lately, and in the middle of one of her meltdowns, sobbing, she said that she “wanted her mommy back”. When I asked her about it, she said that she wanted me to drive and she knew I could not do that until she was 14 and she could not wait that long. I think she wants for her and me to share some experiences alone and having a third person there, even to drive, is invasive. The pain of knowing that she was so sad was the worst pain I have felt. Crying, I told her I would do anything to be able to drive, but this was something I could not fix. In my new reality I have always been lookinh for how I can learn and grow, but one thing I have learned is that some things just suck and not being able to have independent and private experiences with my daughter is one of those things.
But, in a year of loss, I am still thankful for so many things. I am of course most thankful for my daughter and her ongoing ability to amaze me with her wit, spontaneous dance and song routines, and her spunky personality and built in Diva gene. Her latest jab at me is to say “back in the olden days when you were a child…” and then ask things like did yu have chalk or markers or TV. I am thankful for the friends and family that have always supported me, especially in the last four months. I am thankful for the positive thoughts anf wishes I have received from the community. I am thankful that I have been anle to keep working and contribute and continue my mission. I am thankful that I have met a new community of the blind, who have offered so much support and advice. I am thankful that I have some wonderful gifts, such as my intellegence, ability to express my needs and opinions, and my persistence. I am thankful that I learned to ride a bike 6 weeks before my accident because I got to experience something I can no longer do. I am thankful that I can still see beauty in the world, although things look a little different. I am thankful that I can still enjoy music and dance, and that if I want to, I can learn to sing better and climb a mountain. I am thankful that there are people working on growing new retinas from stem cells and that one day I will see normally again.
I feel blessed to have so many good things in my life. So, when life gets challenging, as it always does, I remember how blessed I am. And that we are all blessed and have so many things for which tu be thankful. Happy Thanksgiving.
Keep moving forward,
Beth (BLOVI) Medlock

No comments:

Post a Comment